Monday, February 27, 2012

Show and Tell Monday- Coffee Table Redo

So, as I've said a few times, Jared and I have been looking for just the PERFECT coffee table to complete our living room. Well, FINALLY we've got it.


A couple of weekends ago, we spent a Saturday cleaning out my Grandmother's house. I walked away with a coffee table that my Grandfather built.


I was very nervous about doing anything to this piece of furniture because my Grandfather built it and it meant so much to me. Anyone who knows my Grandfather will know that he was a very particular man. Things were done a certain way and that was usually the only way. I even told my Mom that I was scared that my Pa-Pa would be mad at me.


Anyway, I am so glad with the way that it turned out. I sanded the top all the way down and removed all the stain. Luckily, I had an electric sander to use. Otherwise, it would have taken FOREVER!


After I sanded the top, I re-stained the wood. I used Min-Wax stain in Dark Walnut. I used two coats of stain to get it as dark as I wanted it. I also used Polycrylic to coat the top to prevent scratches and such.


Ever since Courtney repainted her sofa table, I've wanted something turquoise in my house! I decided to paint to bottom and legs turquoise.


Glazing is my favorite part of re-painting anything. It just gives the piece of furniture so much character. My glaze of choice right now is Ralph Lauren brand tinted with Black Truffles.


I am so so so happy with how it turned out. I love it!

Linking up!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, it looks great! Love the colors!

Wendy said...

I love it!!!

And the new blog look is awesome! :)

Dianna said...

Great job!

thetwistedruffle said...

that looks so cute! i had a table that was just adorable and while i was redoing my whole house (going from dark to light) i painted it white. i'm still depressed about it. one of those times where it looked better in the "before."

not yours though--that's spectacular!

Jill ~ Jillify It said...

LOVE the table! I would love it if you would link up to my party going on now!

Jill
www.jillifyit.com

Scribbler said...

What a lucky find -- and you have done a beautiful job updating Pa-Pa's table. Sometimes it is very hard to make changes to something that a loved one has created, but if you want it to work for YOU, sometimes a deep breath and a plunge is necessary!

Stacey said...

Very pretty! Come and link up at my party happening now - I would love to have you!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com said...

Love this! We just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party and would love for you to stop by and share this...http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/03/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...