Monday, July 25, 2011

Show and Tell Monday- DIY Pennant String

I'm sure some of you will get sick and tired of me talking about my classroom ALL the time, but it's my HUGE project right now.


In my room there is a WALL of windows. I wanted to figure out something to hang onto the windows that would be fun and bright, but didn't want just a plain window valance.




This picture was my COMPLETE inspiration. Thanks to my sis for sending it!



I measured the windows, found a pattern for my triangles, and figured out just how much fabric I was going to need.

I bought 8 different colors of fabric in 1/2 a yard for each one.



Mom had the idea to back the triangles with wonder under to make them a little stronger, and to maybe prevent so much fading from the sun beating in the windows. So I began ironing, tracing, and cutting. About 72 triangles later, I had everything that I needed!





I bought 5 packages of single fold bias tape to string them all together. We started by sewing, but then figured out that the wonder under and the backing was just too thick to be sewn. We headed up to my room, glued the strings how we wanted them, and then glued each and every triangle.



I used zebra fabric and my wonder under to add this friendly "Welcome."




And... here they are! I LOVE THEM! So bright and cheerful. I promise to share pics of my completed room soon. I'm having so much fun getting everything ready!




Linking here! P.S. Sorry to be posting so late tonight.... BUSY day!

Photobucket

23 comments:

La-Dee-da crafter said...

OMG!!! Best classroom ever!!!
love it!
following you now.
ladeedacreations.com

Lindsey Cortes said...

I really like your idea for your classroom! I was a Special Ed teacher before staying at home to be a mom and I love all your ideas for setting up a nice looking class. Your students will be so lucky! Good luck as you start your teaching career. Its hard but really fun!

Amy said...

That is the most creative classroom decor, LOVE IT! You did a great job, I bet you'll get a ton of compliments from students and teachers!

Just Jaime said...

It turned out so fun!

A Lived in Home said...

So fun and cute!

i should be doing pushups said...

I LOVE this! Where did you find the triangle pattern? I've been wanting to do something like this on the wall behind my bed~now I know it can be done and will look awesome!

Katie said...

I love this too! In 5 years of teaching, I've had 4 different classrooms, so it's been hard to decorate just how I want. But now that I have the same room for the second year in a row, I might just have to make something like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Courtney and Heather said...

I am searching DESPERATELY for the pattern I used and will post as soon as I find it! Thanks for all your sweet comments, my room is really starting to come together.

~Heather

the cape on the corner said...

instant fun and pep! love it!

Wendy said...

I'm moving into a new classroom this year and I just might have to steal this super-cute idea! Love it! Your room looks great!

Jen said...

Just saw this on Made by You Monday. This looks awesome! What a fun classroom! I want to share this now with all the teachers I know! :)

storycrafting said...

So cute and welcoming! I may need to make one for my school library...

Tracy @ CraftJunkieToo.com said...

This is one FABULOUS classroom! :)
I found your fabulous project and blog through the linky party at Somewhat Simple!
I'd like to invite you to my weekly T.G.I.F. Linky party to share your projects -- I'm looking to grow my party with good quality projects just like this one….here is the direct link if you'd like to join us sometime - the linky is up Thursday evening - Tuesday….:)
T.G.I.F. Linky Party

Becca said...

LOVE THIS! I'm a kindergarten teacher and I'm planning to make one of these with color words on it! Great tutorial. I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and link this to my Home and Family Friday linky party!

Becca
becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

Laura Beth said...

What great classroom inspiration! Loving the pennants :) Featuring your on Blogland's Fabulous Friday Finds!

Jamie said...

Beautiful decorations. More the Merrier Monday will be open until Wednesday at midnight. I would love for you to stop by and link up your pennant string. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Spunky Junky said...

FOR CUTE!!!! Love the banners! I am featuring you two on SJ!!! Good job chickas!!!

Halz

Kendra Germenis said...

So cute Heather!!!! I saw your blog when you first started it way back when but did not realize that you two have been vigorously blogging since. LOVE your classroom! And I would like to be in your class!

luckeyfrog said...

Where did you find the picture your sis sent you as inspiration? :) I'd love to give them credit if I try this idea. So fun!

Jenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

Maria Manore said...

I love your beautiful pennant and am so thankful for the tutorial. I am looking forward to creating something similar in my classroom this year! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by sometime.

Maria
Kinder-Craze

Colonial Kitty said...

Want to try this, but am scared to begin. Question...did you leave the edges of the triangles raw or sew all the edges?

Colonial Kitty said...

Questions did you leave the edges of the triangles raw or sew them under?

Kimberley Rodriguez said...

Inspired by your wonderful idea and made a pennant banner for my classroom. I also have a wall of windows like you and didn't like the blue Dr. Seuss fabric previously on the windows, although I LOVE Dr. Seuss! Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful project. It will make my room a lot more cozy and cheerful - perfect for second graders!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...