Monday, May 2, 2011

Show and Tell Monday- Hanging Solar Lights

I love spending time outside and have been wanting to put some lights outside in our trees. When I saw an idea for using solar lights, I went right out and started making my own Hanging Solar Lights.


I bought these solar lights at Wal-Mart. At $3 a piece, this wasn't the cheapest part of my project, but I had to have them.


I also bought a box of 12 glass jars. 


I decided to spray my jars with Frosted Glass spray paint. If you remember, I gave you all a sneak peak at these a few Friday's ago.


I used the part of the lid that screws on and glued the solar light to it so that it would screw on to my jar.


I had to spray the lids with silver spray paint to match the tops of the solar lights.
Then, I used picture hanging wire to hang the jars.


I am planning on making more, in a smaller version, so that there are lights all the way around the tree. They light up so pretty at night.

Of course, today of all days.... the day I need to take a night picture of my lights... today it was very cloudy and Mr. Sun decided not to come out and play. No sun=no solar light. Check back on Friday for our Random post, and I will try to get a good night picture of my lights this week!

These were so easy to make and give off just the right amount of light. Loving them so much! Thanks to Jared for helping me hang them up.


Photobucket

19 comments:

Amber said...

I love...LOVE this idea! Makes me wish we had a tree to hang them from! (West TX = No Trees!)Good Job!

Suzie said...

very cool

Jessica said...

I LOVE these!! We have plenty of trees here in Texarkana to hang these from!! I will be making these for our party at the end of the month!

Three Sisterz said...

Hi Ladies!!! So nice to meet you! Love your blog and all your great ideas!



XO Courtenay@ThreeSisterz

Lindsay said...

Awesome solar lights! Can't wait to see the night picture!

Courtney and Heather said...

Thanks girls!

Will be posting night pics soon.

@Jessica-hope yours turn out perfect!

Hani@Craftionary said...

Amazing idea! can't wait to try it myself..
Thanks for sharing
Hani

http://www.craftionary.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

These are beautiful! Are you near a dollar store? They have very similar lights for $1. I bought one just to make sure the quality was there and it works great!

Cheryl said...

Oops, I should clarify--the Dollar store has similar solar stake lights, not your darling hanging jar and light combo :)

Courtney and Heather said...

Cheryl... I did look at the Dollar Tree lights. But they top, with the solar panel, was a little smaller and I wasn't sure they would fit... :(

I like the price though!

Hope your's turns out great!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Love them. Solar lights are a great addition to any outside space!
~Kimberlee, www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

Tru@TRU TALES FEATS said...

Visiting from Paisley Passions. Awesome. Too bad it's so hard to get a night picture. I just made some with some tealight holders and tried to get a pic at night with my point and shoot. Somewhat successful. I plan to post about it in a few days.

Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

I saw those solar lights and wanted them, but held back because I wanted something "prettier." This.Is.Awesome. Excuse me, I have to go pretty up some lights now. ;)

Kathryn Michelle Jenkins said...

I am gonna try this. this is awesome! I've been trying to think of an idea for cuter solar lights because I hate all the ones I see at the store but this is great.

thanks for posting! I'm a new follower

kathryn
@ thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

adventuresindinner said...

Great idea! I will be doing this as soon as possible!

Connie the crafterbug said...

You gals are genius! I was talking to my husband the other day about hanging lanterns from our tree,but we had the electricity issue. Thank you thank you.
Connie
I am a new follower
Connie

Courtney and Heather said...

Thank you! I hope yours all turn out fabulous! I am sure they will! ;)

Spunky Junky said...

LOve this idea! I can't believe how amazing the jars looked after they were frosted!

xoxo
Halsey

Michelle said...

What a fantastic idea! I wonder if it would work in my sons room as a night light if it was hung near a window during the day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...