Monday, March 14, 2011

Show and Tell Monday- St. Patty's Shirt


St. Patty's Style

This week I am going to share with you my DIY St. Patty's shirt. 

These shirts are so fun and easy!  It's nice to be able to make a personalized shirt for your little ones or yourself.

I have been an ETSY shopper for years. I love that site and all the cute stuff on there!!  So, my mom was over one day when I got my package that I had bought from a seller on ETSY...it was some iron-on fall appliques.  We got to talking and she informed me that those are easy to make and put on a shirt and that is when it all started!! 

I am now proud to say I can make a custom applique shirt all by myself.  I do get a little help from Heather and my mom sometimes.  Heather helps me with my patterns for the letters I use for my shirts and my Mom helps me sew my shirts sometimes. 

Okay....back to the St. Patty's shirt. 


Supplies needed:
Iron-on Adhesive - Fabric - Needle & Thread - Pattern - Shirt 

First, you will start by getting your pattern.  I get a lot of my patters from familyfun.go.com.  They have a lot of printable patterns. 

When you find your pattern, you will need to cut a piece of fabric and iron-on transfer paper that your pattern will fit on.


Next, you will go ahead and iron your iron-on adhesive to the fabric. Make sure you follow the directions on how to use the iron-on adhesive.

Next, trace the pattern on the iron on adhesive.  You will want to lay your pattern backwards.



Then, you will cut it out and you will have your iron-on applique.


Next, peel off the adhesive backing.
 


Then, place your iron-on applique on to your shirt and iron it on. There are two kinds of iron-on adhesive that you can buy, the sewable or non-sewable.  If you buy the non-sewable you can stop here because the adhesive is supposed to hold without sewing.


I always buy the sewable adhesive so I can sew it on and secure it better.


I hand sew my shirts because I like how this stitch looks.  I have not gotten brave enough to try the sewing machine yet...maybe one day I will.


Once you are done you will end of with this cute fabulous shirt!  This is a shirt you can wear all month long.


Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Linking Here....
Photobucket


8 comments:

Danielle said...

That's adorable! I love the stitching!

www.thesunshinegirl-create.blogspot.com

Lauren @ YoungNester said...

I love it! So cute! I would love for you to stop by and link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link party (it lasts all week)!

Ginna said...

Cute! Love the detail of the stitching!

www.juiceboxdreams.com

Every Day Products & More said...

Hello newest follower from the hop
http://everydayproductsandmore.blogspot.com/

Sommer said...

This makes me wish I still had babies! You are so talented! I'd love to have you share this at my VIP party today @ http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-7.html

Leigh the sewing diva said...

wow that is stunning! just found your blog via a linky party and so glad i did! count me in as your newest follower!

Lolly Jane said...

i can't believe you hand stitch- it does look better than a machine, for sure :) super cute. thanks for linkin up w/ us!

ps: we love sister blogs, too! ;)

Courtney and Heather said...

Thanks everyone for the sweet comments! I love making these shirts. It is just sometimes hard to find the time. ;) But when I do find the time they turn out so good!

~Courtney~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...