Monday, March 21, 2011

Show and Tell Monday- Flower Hat

How would you like to make a cute hat like this???





Well...believe me you can!  Like I said before, if I can do this you can do this!! This is supper easy and so cute!!!  I love hats and I tend to wear them on the weekends or when I am having a no make up day. 


Supplies needed


Hat - Fabric - Glue - Bar Pins - Felt


And I also used this fabulous stuff....I love this stuff!!




These hats you can find at most craft stores. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for 3.99! 



First you will need to make your flower. 

How to make a flower...

Start with a 1-2 inch wide strip of fabric.  The length of you fabric will depend on how big you want your flower.  This strip is about 21 inches long.

Tie a knot at the end of the fabric and start wrapping your fabric around the knot you tied.



You will want to twist the fabric as you wrap it.


Keep wrapping and twisting, and add a dab of fabric glue every once in a while to hold her flower in place.




Once you are at the end. tuck and glue the left over fabric under the flower.  If you decide you want your flower bigger just cut another piece of fabric and start gluing, wrapping, and twisting.






I also wanted to mention that the tighter you pull and wrap your fabric the flatter your flower will be.






If you wrap loosly you will end up with a more full flower.








And that is how you make your flower.  Super easy!






Next, you will want to cut a piece of felt and glue it to the back of the fabric.






Then, glue your bar pin on. This is where I pulled out my hot glue and used it.




I got a little flower happy and made all of these....I hate to say but I have made more...a girl can never have to many flowers!


You can also add some embellishments if you want.  I added some little pearl beads (bought at hobby lobby) and just sewed them on with some transparent thread.


 
Now all you do is just pin your flower/flowers to your hat.  You can make all kinds of differnt hat combos.

I love how you can turn something so cheap into something FABULOUS!!!






I love my hats and love to wear them!!

If you make any, be sure to share pics with me...I would love to see your creations!

Thanks for stopping by. 

Linking here...
Photobucket

7 comments:

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Cuuuuute! I love the look of grey hat with those two flowers, very cool!

Michelle said...

I just tried rolled fabric bows this past week - this is one of the best tutorials I've seen. Love the hats!

bellatreasures said...

CUTE! CUTE!We are on the same page.. I just did the same thing to those hats. Check them out. www.bellatreasures.blogspot.com

radn said...

Love how these fabric flowers make look everything so beautiful!

I have a giveaway on my blog. $40 store credit + free shipping to get a drawstring backpack and spring hair accessories. All you have to do is leave a comment. Check it out!
http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/40-store-credit-free-shipping-from-o-to.html

Megan said...

This is really cute. I love the black print with the blue.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Jae said...

Very cute. Don't you just love fabric flowers??!!!

Kim @ It's a Crafty Life said...

Love the idea of using a pin to stick it on so you can change them often. I would've just tried to glue it down, and would've been stuck with the same old flower! Thanks for linking it up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...